Friday, February 2, 2007

Happy February!

In working on some questions for the current board, I spent lots of time at tolerance.org. There are some excellent resources and suggestions for Black History month (do's and don'ts for classrooms that are especially helpful). Thinking about double consciousness also made me get out an old favorite, Ellison's Invisible Man. Let me know if anyone else appreciates that as much as I do. It always makes me think and never seems out of date. Some of my doc students will relate DuBois's concept to qualitative research (I hope!). I'm also hoping an ECDE major might apply the concept to teenagers and think about research along those lines. Maybe that would even tie into current research by two doc students on adolescent identity development.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Dr. Chenoweth,
i just looked up an article that is really fascinating. DiAngelo, R.(2006). "My class didn't trump my race: Using oppression to face privilege" Multicultural Perspectives, 8(1), 52-56.
Since I know you enjoy reading, this might be something you would like. I'll have to re-read it to get full benefit!
Donna White

Lillian Chenoweth said...

Donna, that was a fascinating article and helped to inform me further about white privilege and racial humility, an interesting concept. Thanks so much for sharing. I also found other interesting articles in that same journal. (Yes, I really do like to read!)

Amy Collier said...

Dr. Chenoweth - DuBois' writings and Critical Race Theory were some of my favorite reads last year in your qualitative class. I should say, not only were they favorites, they were the most influential on me.

DuBois (cited in Lincoln & Denzin, 2003) noted that he "ever feels his twoness" (p. 403). Quantitative research would never be able to provide us with that information...unless there was a measure that asked:
Question 4: Do you ever feel your two-ness?
____Yes _____No

Okay, I really just made myself laugh. In all seriousness, qualitative research gives voice and it is with that voice that underrepresented groups, perhaps oppressed groups, can let us know about their experiences. That is why I love qualitative research.

Have you read bell hooks' Teaching to Transgress?