Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

I'm not sure how February has gone so quickly. Instead of reading more book reviews, I'll post a few thoughts here. I read a very informative article in the NY Times on February 5 entitled "On Race and the Census: Struggling with Categories that No Longer Apply." The author, Brent Staples, addresses the issues we talked around in one class DB. My afterthoughts focused on an interesting research topic - the impact of the racial categories on sense of personal identity. How does that label influence my attitude toward self? How fluid is that identity? Any doc students out there looking for a research topic? or just a little fun research activity? I think my privilege as a white person would inform my answers to those questions differently, but what does the research literature say?

On another topic, my son is substitute teaching in second grade today. Are there still valentine parties in schools? Does anyone else remember decorating a shoe box to take to school? Is that a ritual that has died completely? I almost wish for a box to put outside my office door today to see if any valentines appear. I'm celebrating tonight with husband of 32 years and a concert by Ruthie Foster, a great gospel/blues/jazz singer. I hope you have a good day, even without receiving any commercial messages.

2 comments:

AStephens said...

My son did white paper sacks not shoe boxes, but I too was remember how fun that was! He is in K and they use Valentine delivery for letter and name recognition. I wasn't able to attend but it sounded like it was a lot of fun (pretzels and conversational hearts were served :).

Unknown said...

To be more multiculturally sensitive, it was policy at a school that I previously taught at to not observe any holiday (even American). Is this not contrary to the multicultural sentiments of respecting and appreciating home cultures, beliefs, and practices? Is it not an err to disregard children's meaningful events for the sake of being PC? Do children share the same concept of correctness as those who decide and enforce the policies?