Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More snow and more reading

It's been fun to read others' blogs! I'm assuming I have a few "bleaders," even if very few of you are commenting.

We have actually had a few more snowflakes in Denton, cause for great excitement. The cold weather gave me a excuse to stay in and read more. Totally unrelated to my classes this semester (yes, even teachers want to do something not required), I just finished reading
Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. It's a very entertaining account of a 30-year-old's attempt to cook every recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. I laughed loudly at her descriptions of cooking, living in New York City as a transplanted Texan, surviving marriage, and blogging. (So, there's a slight connection with me and with my roles this semester.)

I'm also trying to learn more about TaskStream...and struggling to create my own portfolio there. Faculty have to submit a yearly self-evaluation, and it seemed appropriate to learn the platform that our students will learn and use. Except that now I'm doubting whether I want to learn something new or take the easy way. Maybe others can relate to that dilemma.

Okay, time to go read some slightly less interesting stuff.

3 comments:

Lillian Chenoweth said...

Alan, this is a great question. I could answer from my current perspective as the parent of two young adult questions...but it would be significantly different from my earlier life with young children. I have never really believed in balance - an unattainable illusion for me. I simply tried to do my best to love and care for my family and do my job. Nothing ever balanced. It has always helped that I have a wonderful, loving partner to share the workload and the joys. For many years, I voluntarily taught on weekends and at night. My husband assumed full duties (soccer mom, washing clothes, buying groceries, etc.) The kids knew he could do anything and didn't wait for me. I was able to teach a full load and still meet the school bus everyday at 3 pm or volunteer at their schools. Academia offers a wonderfully flexible schedule! I learned to read very quickly and write quickly, without agonizing over each phrase. I long ago abandoned any thoughts of perfection. Let's have a cup of coffee someday and discuss this issue further. You've got some of the same assets working for you. I'm betting you'll learn your own tricks.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

3 thoughts I want to share.

1. I'm really going to take you up on that cup of coffee one day. I go through a honeymoon stage about twice a month, thinking I'm going to work early, and here it is 1am and I'm trying to put the final touches on my curriculum assignment. I have decided that I am a perfectionist, at least until the deadline. It seems that on "big" projects I get distracted thinking about what else I could add, or how to improve the appearance of a document. Perhaps one day soon we can discuss some of these subjects.

2. Regarding blogs, I have appreciated your journaling through part of the semester. I wonder if participation in a professor's personal blog would increase if students had an assignment that required them to create and maintain their own blog?

3. Regarding Diversity, several of my students have expressed their gratitude and enjoyment in the Ethnography assignment. It is an assignment that at first sounds difficult, but has benefits on multiple levels. I start reading and grading them this week. I'm guessing that reading them will have a positive influence on me as well. -Alan Wages