Thursday, February 15, 2007

Post Valentine's

Just in case anyone is reading this and is curious about an update for my son's experience in 2nd grade, here's an update. He reported that it went well, except for a few details. The room mothers (still the label used, excluding many family members who might want to help out) brought little gifts for each child. Instead of the cupcakes we would have had when I was little, the children received pencils. The boys got pencils with basketballs on them while the girls got pink pencils with flowers. No one got to choose. Even my son thought there were some problems with that. He did enjoy reading The Little Ballerina (as assigned) and showing some ballet positions. I'm learning much about the current state of schools through his perspective.

Meanwhile, I finished my portfolio and learned much more about TaskStream. It is do-able! I'm also taking an online course for the first time and have truly learned a lot. My first quiz score was disappointing; I've agonized over the questions marked incorrect. Now I have new perspective on online quizzes and their format. I've also learned that the work takes much more time than I anticipated. Does that sound familiar?? I have enjoyed the course and am eager to apply my new skills...but will also be relieved in a few weeks - if I pass. It's hard to fit in the time to do my coursework and real work and family work. You really have to be motivated!

1 comment:

AStephens said...

Thanks for your comments. Not only is it interesting the gender assignments still given in school, it would have been interesting seeing your son show ballet moves :)

Also, I just wanted to say thanks for your openness, understanding, and honesty! I read some back comments and appreciate that we don't all have to strive for perfection but our best is also acceptable and sometimes, things just don't get the level of commitment we would like. Thanks!